Question
Posted by: Ceeb | 2005/12/12

Cat cut in nose

My cat was playing with her sister, and ended up with a scratch in her nostril. It isn't swollen, but does seem to weep quite a bit.
My first reaction is to take her to the vet, but my vet told me last time to stop bringing them in for every bump and lump I see.
I am worried about this cut as it doesn't seem to be healing. Any advice?

In this particular site, cuts and bruises will normally heal fairly quickly, because it is superficial. It will not necessarily need veterinary attention. You can also not really use any antiseptic lotions or solutions in this particular area. If the swelling does not go down within a few days or gets worse, obviously your vet will need to be involved. Any sore that does not heal up completely within a reasonable period of time should be investigated.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Ceeb | 2005/12/13

Thanks Buff.
Must admit I was quite put out when he told me to stop bringing them in. For instance, last time my one drank jik (I was soaking dishtowels) I rushed her off and he just brushed it off even though she had blisters in her mouth. I should change vets, thanks for the advice, I'm going to take her today!

Reply to Ceeb
Posted by: Buffs | 2005/12/12

First of all you need a new vet!! I take one of my 5 into my vet almost every week and if there is nothing wrong with them he doesnt even charge me! Rather be safe than sorry

Secondly the nose is full of bacteria and germs and you kitty may need an oral anti biotic if it is infected which it sounds like it is.

Take kitty to the vet.

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Ceeb | 2005/12/12

Sorry - meant to add that this cut has been like this for over a week

Reply to Ceeb