Question
Posted by: Beep | 2006/07/24

Cat behaviour since baby arrived

I have two cats. Since my baby was born, my one kitty has been really seeking attention, doing 'naughty' things that she never did before like ripping toilet paper, tearing books, stealing food off plates, jumping on the dinner table and clawing the furniture. What can I do to firstly make her feel more secure, and secondly to stop doing these things? I don't believe in smacking cats, but moaning at her, or just moving her away from what she is doing doesn't help either. I am making a concerted effort to give her just as much attention as before, if not more but it doesn't seem to help. Her sister is in no way upset about the baby.

Remote distraction sometimes works with cats that misbehave. For instance you can spray them using a water spray bottle or drop a tin containing pebbles to frighten them away from furniture. Providing a scratching post and toys may also help.

2
Posted by: SUN | 2006/07/27

Kitty will return to normal - have patience - give it lots of attention - like before baby arrived. Cats also like a routine i.e. when they are fed etc. so try and stick to the same routine as before baby came along - good luck! Kitty and baby will become best of friends!

Reply to SUN
Posted by: Melbalina | 2006/07/25

Interesting how cats have different personalities - your one is feeling left out. Firstly, I know it's hard, but try and ignore the bad behaviour. Don't even let her know you are looking at her. Then, about an hour later, shower her with affection. If you do it immediately afterwards, the bad behaviour will continue. Be sure to shower the other kitty with affection at the same time too. You are right, smacking isn't the answer and neither is moaning - they just take that as a positive sign (getting attention). Try this for a few weeks and see how it goes. If it doesn't improve, I would suggest contacting an Animal Behaviouralist. Good luck!

Reply to Melbalina