Question
Posted by: citizen_c | 2004/12/08

cat behaviour query

Is it possible that a cat could leave his faeces uncovered? I've heard that cats have a tendency to bury theirs.
There are 2 stray cats who frequently visit our property and who may (or may not) have left their "mark", so to speak.
Thanx.

Hi Citizen_C
It is quite possible that the cats did not cover their faeces, although it is relatively unusual. Sometimes cats are disturbed while doing their thing and don't have time to cover up. Another reason could be that they are doing it on purpose to mark the territory as theirs. This is called middening and sometimes is sprayed onto an upright surface to make it more visible. It is also possible that it is not a cat but another animal leaving its mark. Hadeda birds make a stool very similar to cats.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: Paul | 2004/12/09

Cats in general will cover up the feaces. I have however seen in the past that sometimes they don't (and they don't look too chuffed when that occurs). It could have alot to do with the consitency of the material they are releiving themselves in. It could be to hard to dig a proper hole or something like that.

Reply to Paul