Question
Posted by: Rix | 2007/08/01

Cat allergies

I am not sure whether this is the right forum in which to ask this question, but nevertheless, here it is.

I am interested in buying a persian cat. However, my husband is very allergic to normal houscats, with the short hair. Would he also be allergic to the cats with longer hair as he has no allergy problems with longer haired dogs, such as pomeranians?

Probably "more allergic" to the long haired cat.

5
Posted by: Carol | 2007/08/02

I think the question you need to be asking is , is HE prepared to get used to a cat ??? If he is and is willing to work with you then yes ...... but if he has decided he is allergic to short haired cats you may have a problem , he may decide he is also allergic to long haired cats .

Do you know anyone witha persian that he could try and get used to perhaps?

Men are tricky things .

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Jacqui | 2007/08/02

My boyfriend is very allergic to almost every thing including cats. He has a cat, but it is not the cat hair that makes him allergic (according to the doctor) it is the dust that the cat hair picks up. If you brush your cat every day (probably morning and night) your husband will get use to the cat.

Like I said it is not the cat it is only the dust on the cat, as cat hairs are like this giant walking dust magnate. It would also probably be best to (from kitten) at night wet your hands and run it over the cats fur. that way the cat will firstly start bathing itself and secondly, you take off most of the dust with your wet hand. That is what I do, my boyfriend could not sleep with the cat in his room at first.. now she sleeps under the covers with him..

Reply to Jacqui
Posted by: Rix | 2007/08/02

Thanks for the responses.

No he hasn't actaully ever been tested. Is is very possible that it's rather something else.

What is the probability he will get use to the cat? As I don't want to pay a fortune for the kitty and then we have to give it away eventually...

Reply to Rix
Posted by: Carol | 2007/08/01

Has he been tested for cat allergies ??? the reason i ask is because I read somewhere that 90% odd so called cat allergies are actually dustmites etc and not cat hair at all .

I also though I was allergic to cats but one of my infants sleeps under my nose and it has made my sinus no worse so obviously in my case is probably a combination of smoking/ dust and whatever else is floating around in the air.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Papilio | 2007/08/01

I've heard before that it is not acctually the hair that causes the allergy but the dry skin (skin flakes) that cause the problem.. Apperently it doesn't matter how long the hair is or even if it is those ones with no hair at all it will always be a problem. But I also know that a cat allergy can be overcome i was highly allergic to cats until i got my Neko and after 2 weeks i got used to him and didn't have a problem.. I'm still extremley allergic to any other cat but my body seems to have gotten used to him...

Reply to Papilio