Question
Posted by: Noodle | 2004/01/30

Castor oil

Is castor oil a "safe" ay to treat constipation rather than using
laxatives or is castor oil just another laxative?
What is the dosage , and how do you actually drink it?
It tastes awful?
PS. I am following a high fibre diet (weigh less) but do suffer
from a spastic colon aggravated by stress. How do i treat this
constipation since it isn't diet related?

Dear Noodle
Castor oil is also a rather harsh laxative which may interfere with normal bowel function and prevent uptake of essential fat-soluble vitamins. I would advise that you take supplements containing 'good' microorganisms such as Bifidoflora or Bifidoforte (buy at health shops) and use a product such as Fybogel to promote regularity. To counteract the stress it may be beneficial to do relaxing exercise such as yoga or to consult a clinical psychologist to help you to learn coping behaviours.