Question
Posted by: Ferny | 2007/07/23

Carte Blanche-Black lesbians

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing well.

I'm sure many of you like my husband and i, watched the Carte Blance report last night on the extreme prejudice against black lesbians and the recent murders of a lesbian couple in Soweto.

Although we were aware of how difficult it is especially for our black community to be gay we were absolutely horrified to see just how bad the siituation is. I just cannot imagine what it must be like to have to live with the constant fear that some homophobic persons will decide that they are going to "fix" you!!

And then to know that our so called "leaders" e.g. Zuma, have compounded the problem by opening his big mouth and condemning gays publicly, just makes it worse. This from a man who has fathered 19 children (that we know of) and had goodness knows how many sexual partners............!!! Well what can i say, but that this a very sad reflection of the society we live in!!!

All i know is that EACH & EVERYONE of us MUST stand up and be proud of who we are and fight in whatever small or big way we can to protect the rights of ALL gay South Africans and not let the past stand between blacks and whites on this moral issue. We are all human beings and all deserve to live our lives free from prejudice and fear!!

As the mother of a gay son, i can still only just begin to understand what these woman are going through! AS a mother my heart goes out to all those women but especially to the mother who lost one of her twin daughters to suicide as a direct result of her being lesbian. There can be nothing worse than losing a child.......especially when it is due to prejudice and IGNORANCE!!

And of course that is the key.....EDUCATION !!! But where to start ?? In our schools, surely, but how can that be done when a while ago there was such an outcry when the suggestion was made to introduce education on gays into the Life Orientation programme at high school??

I have to ask myself......what are these people scared of? Don't they understand that gay/lesbian persons just want to live their lives in exactly the same way that all other persons want to? There is no hidden agenda to take over the world !!!!!

Take care everyone. Love and hugs - Ferny :-)

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi to you Ferny and thanks for this post. Even though I work in the field of gay and lesbian rights and have counselled lesbians who've endured curative (or corrective) rape I was blown away by the insert on Carte Blanche. Of particular concern is that I think we're only aware of a fraction of these gross hate crimes - in this regard we know very little about what black lesbians are forced to endure in rural areas and small towns, for example.

3
Posted by: TeenQueen | 2007/07/23

It's time for action. I believe that South Africa has enough laws protecting everyone. I believe they should be set into practice. If the police wouldn't help a lesbian that was assulted, what hope do we have?
Education is the focal point here as Ferny said. However we cannot have prejudiced teachers teaching life orientation in school if they promote prejudice against whomever. I believe we as the GLBTI community should provide that education whenever we get the chance. E.g. a girl asked me how long I've been gay and I asked her how long she had been straight. End of story. I think there will be no better teachers on the subject of homosexuality than we ourselves. We must try and destroy myths surrounding homosexuality. If we find someone that is intrested in learning we can teach them. I believe it will be absolutly pointless to try and educate dear Mr Zuma or anyone like him. But those that want to know, and there are many, are those that'll hopefully protect us if they see us being hassled.
Ghandi said that we have to be the change we want to see in the world. I believe my being out in the open is my little contribution toward being open about homosexuality in schools.
We do have a state of emergency concerning hate crimes. If each of us does something to promote awareness on the subject, not limiting the argument to hate crimes against homosexuals persay, we might make a chain so that some bloke in Soweto or in Pofadder might reconsider what they think about spesificaly prejudice and other subjects. People tend to fear what they don't understand. If we do our part, others will hopefully do theirs and we might hear less stories like this because people understand.
It sounds a bit idealistic but I know its worth a try.
;-)

Reply to TeenQueen
Posted by: NIkki | 2007/07/23

Well Done CarteBlanche and I agree with you Ferny.

It will only change if WE never stop talking about it, stand up and fight back to erradicate this unjust prejudice that has existed for far too long.

I would have felt very proud if an official GBLTI organisation sued Mr. Zuma for what he had said.

It is unacceptable.

xxxxxxx
Nikki

Reply to NIkki
Posted by: Neil | 2007/07/23

Hi Ferny, I sat there watching and I literally felt sick.

Reply to Neil