Question
Posted by: Susana | 2007/03/29

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Thyroid

I would like to know if there is a link between under active thyroid function and Carpal Tunnel Syndrom. I have been getting numbness (pins and needles) in my right hand and arm and sometimes my left. This usually happens during the night and wakes me. I do not have pain during the day but my hands have very little strength. My doctor wants and EMU (nerve test) and maybe to then operate in order to release the pressure on the nerves of my wrists. Is there any other LESS AGGRESIVE proceedure. I have been diagnosed 12 years ago with an under active thryroid but have been on Eltroxin ever since. My recommended dosage (100mmg) seems to be o.k. My blood results are: Free T3(pmol/l) 3,46 - Thy. stimulating Hormone 7,44 - Free Thy 4 15,6.

Dear Susana
I don't think this is caused by thyroid problems - the examination and operation your doctor is suggesting will be the best option for treatment - what happens is that the nerve runs in a small tunnel in the wrist and if the tunnel gets too narrow, this causes pressure on the nerve. With the operation they just split the tunnel to give the nerve more "breathing space".