Question
Posted by: Brenton Joubert | 2008/01/03

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Good day,

I would like to get some information on the above condition.

I have been reading up on some internet articles regarding causes and treatments and am slightly worried.

I am currently 6 weeks into the `Body & Lifestyle Challenge` program and still have 6 weeks to go. The weight gain program is what I am doing so I am pushing heavier weights aggravating the pain in my left wrist from time to time. Some days it is not as bad as others.

I have had the wrist x-rayed and there is nothing broken or swollen.

My concern is this, continuation with the program doing real damage to my wrist (not just a pinched median nerve)?

Stopping the program now for a few weeks would be very disappointing as I am achieving my goals and I have spent a great deal of money on the supplements.

Could I complete the program and then seek a medical solution (operation)?

Would the hydrocortisone injection into the wrist be an option (can one train after the injection, immediately)?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yours sincerely,
Brenton Joubert
(Richards Bay)

Dear Brenton
I think you should ask your GP to examine the wrist and refer you to an orthopod if needed - usually carpal tunnel syndrome will cause needles and pins or pain in the hand and up into the arm. You can use Vit B 6 , anti inflammatories or cortisone for the pain, but the problem with cortisone is that you can inadvertently over-exercise the wrist. Using a wrist guard may be helpful.
See http://www.medicinenet.com/carpal_tunnel_syndrome/page3.htm