Question
Posted by: KAY | 2007/04/25

Carpal Tunnel Surgery (Is It Advisable)

Hi, have written to you before, 36yr old female, saw a neurologist and diagnosed with CTS in both wrists. Have been using the wrist band for more than six weeks now with no relief. My hand throbs and I find it difficult to even stir a curry. Have been advised to have the surgery, what's the recovery period, my job involves me using a computer daily. Besides the wrist and hand pain, i have been excruciating pain in my left legs (muscle spasms) Have been doing any sport. Also had severe pain in my buttock. Had nerve tests done in legs as wells (no nerve damage) . No arthritis or gout.

What do i do, even when i sit i'm in pain, can't sleep at night, legs ache and it is driving me insane.

Should i have the carpal surgery, i know that will only help with the arms and fingers, or could there something else going on. Experiencing tingling and weakness in legs. Also been having some dizzy spells.

Pls help, going insane

Dear Kay
Before you go for an operation, please just have yourself evaluated by a physiotherapist - many times these symptoms are caused by spasms of muscles or other soft tissue problems. If she agrees with the diagnosis, I don't think you have much of a choice?