Question
Posted by: Nuts | 2002/12/13

Carpal Tunnel depriving me of sleep

Hi Doc !
It is 3am my hand is dead again, pins and needles, pain, burning and nothing relieves it! I am on Vioxx and Atherax (antinflam and muscle relaxant) as well as Eltroxin for hypothyroidism. For years I have had flare ups, always in relation to water retention. Now again after a course of cortisone. My GP prescribed a diuretic for 5 days. The swelling went down but the symptoms in the hand got worse. Today is Friday and on Sunday I'm leaving for the coast. My physio said it's bad carpal tunnel and I'd possibly need surgery! There is no time to see a specialist so short before christmas. How do I deal with this? Is there another kind of treatment that will make the pain and dicomfort go? More diuretics? I normally sleep very well, so this is driving me nuts! My hand is constantly numb even when I move around, shake it ect. Nothing works! Please help!

Nuts, the only treatment that might work is a cortisone injection, but it sounds like you will probably end up having surgery. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Health24 | 2002/12/13

Dear Nuts
You may also be interested in our comprehensive article on carpal tunnel syndrome in the A-Z section of diseases. Hope you find the information useful.
Kind regards
Health24

Reply to Health24