Posted by: Sim | 2008/09/04

Career in Pilates Instruction

I am seriously considering doing a Pilates course and becoming an instructor - However, I am finding the decision a difficult one to make. I am currently in the corporate world with one of the top companies in SA and earning a nice fat salary for a 24 year old... but I' m just not loving it. Not even liking it for that matter. I know that I would be a great teacher and I' m passionate about gym instruction... it' s just that I don' t know if it will mean an extreme change in my lifestyle and having to struggle from month to month. I' m battling to find some good advice and was hoping you (or anyone else that can speak from experience) could assist me with this decision?

Hi Sim

I share your frustration, and I also realise that teh fitness industry, which is a passion for many, is often not a sustainable job.

I don't know anyone who is self-employed as a Pilates instructor, so I can't answer you from any kind of experience or industry insight. What I will say is that it's a difficult industry, because it's grown too quickly in too short a time, and as a result the market is somewhat 'saturated' by all these trainers, many of whom, it must be said, are of a poor standard.

having said that, it's possible to succeed, but I wouldn't walk away from a secure job to do it. I think the best thing is to do the Pilates course on the side, and then see whether the market exists and how easily you might establish yourself. You'd have to do the "numbers" and work out for example that if you got 100 clients at R200 a month you'd be making R20000, for exampe. Is that sufficient? Do you need 200 clients? Is that possible? If you charged R400 a month (or R50 a session, times two per week), would you be able to get 100 people? All these business kinds of projections (which I'm sure you're more than capable of) would have to factor into your decision. I think the first step is to do the course, see whether you can run one or two classes on the side (it's a passion of yours anyway), and then take it step by step, see what opens up for you.

Posted by: fanatic | 2008/09/10

Hi there,

you can also teach through Virgin Active or Planet Fitness which they charge you per hour to give class, minimum per hour is R80 for beginners, maximum R250 for experienced instructors. Most full time grouptrainers are teaching more than one class per day at the same Virgin Active Gym or between two different Virgin Active Branches.

Reply to fanatic