Question
Posted by: Zubi | 2005/12/05

Career going nowhere

Dear Doc

I have a major problem, I am an Accountant 32 Years old and have 2 subjects to complete to qualify.

I have been working for almost 16 years now and have a major problem with receiving instructions, I enjoy what I do, work hours on end able to meet deadlines, etc.

The moment I receive stick from my superiors I throw in the towel and move to a new job by resigning or threaten to resign, I cant handle critcism and take personlly and get extremely emotional, I am throwing away opportunities.

It is catching up with me, please help with some advice.

Personal counselling sounds like what you'd need, especially of the CBT ( COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ) form. It sounds like you can be really good and effective at your job as such, but need to improve your skills at handling criticism ( which will arise in any job, in any sort of work, however well you perform ) Your comments suggest that your self-esteem may be far more fragile than you deserve, and thus easily disturbed even by minor criticism or feedback

2
Posted by: Blue Eyes | 2005/12/06

Hi there, I am exactly the same, I hate conflict and don't deal with critisism very well, I get my back up quickly. But I have realised that in order to get anywhere in life I had to make some serious personality adjustments.

Sometimes one should see critisism as positive (I know it sounds crazy) but none of us are perfect and we all have our flaws. Try not to take things too personal and always try and think what sort of picture you are creating in the other persons mind of yourself. If you were that person for example how would you deal with yourself and be honest to yourself.

I have never heard of the perfect job. Any job has its ups and downs and the grass is not always greener. There is the saying, rather the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Try and work yourself into a position where you are calling the shots. I think you are past the stage of working for a boss, you need to be the boss, but it doesn't come on a platter you have to make it happen.

Reply to Blue Eyes
Posted by: Carol | 2005/12/06

I used to be very much the same , until one day I decided that im letting people and situations get the better of me . Now think about it , you are allowing this , and you need to stop.

Try not let get other people get you down , dont make other peoples problems your problems . The human race is full of failings dont take other peoples insecurities on . You are the better person and you have to prove this to yourself.

I cant take orders either , I give them :).

Reply to Carol