Question
Posted by: Career Dieter | 2007/11/30

Career Dieter his Desperation

Hi. Am 32 years old and about 30kg overweight. I have tried most diets in the book, that work for a while but the weight slowly creeps back and doubles. I admit I have very little will power, and LOVE eating. Anything exotic on a plate excites me and I love to try new things.
I am also a mother of 2 with a full time job and I am doing a post-graduate degree part time. My lack of spare time gives me a good excuse not to get enough exercise.
I also have PCOS, underactive thyroid & insulin resistance for which I am being medicated.
I am results driven and want to see results fast - I KNOW its better to lose the weight slower but I just end up getting frustrated and chukking in the diet as its not working fast enough for me.
I would love to shed the extra weight as I'm sure its not doing my health any good, but I'm looking for an easy fix or magic pill that I know doesnt exist.
I am so depressed about my weight. Please do you have any suggestions for me?

Dear Career Dieter
Because you suffer from mutiple conditions such as PCOS, hypothyroidism and insulin resistance (IR) it is absolutely essential to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, and other conditions such as overweight, PCOS and hypothyroidism, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. It is also essential that you start doing some form of exercise because regular aerobic exercise will help you to control your blood glucose and insulin levels and thus lose weight. It also prevents you from developing diabetes. If you don't have time to go to a gym or Walk for Life, then do home exercises, for example, you can always buy a skipping rope and skip every day. Start off gradually skipping slowly for about 10 min a day and as you get fitter, increase how fast you skip and how long until you are doing 30 min a day. To improve your motivation it may help to obtain motivational tapes from the Innertalk organisation. Contact them on www.innertalk.com