Question
Posted by: Kiki | 2006/11/09

career advice plse

I am 46 and have been in a Personal Assistant position most of my life. I feel frustrated as I have very good skils and qualifications but have always been overlooked at companies where I work. In the PA field there seems to be no growth opportunities as most bosses prefer to keep you on in this position because it suits them to keep you there. How can I progress to break out of this rut and be promoted to become a manager? I have just completed a HR management course but to start on entry level in the HR department would mean a huge cut in salary. What frustrates me is that so many young inexperienced immature people get promoted to management level without having sufficient skills particularly people skills and here I sit with many years of experience still stick in a PA position... any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Expert ImageExecutive coach

I echo the reply of anon below!!! I would however work through some of your fears and find more power before you go down that path. Also getting really creative with someone in a brainstorming session may prove very beneficial in providing you with more possibilities and opportunities.

1
Posted by: anon | 2006/12/15

Have you been able to chat to your superior and voice your feelings. Are any of your superiors aware that you have completed the HR Management Course? Sometimes we have to take a risk and throw ourselves into the deep end, if thats what you want to do, we all have to start somewhere, who knows, you might start at the entry level but because you have more working experience you will be promoted a lot sooner than you think.

Good Luck!

Reply to anon