Question
Posted by: Corné | 2005/01/10

Career Advice?

I know I'm not on the right forum, but can some-one please point me in the right direction..I need some advice on what to do with my life career wise. I'm 27 with a BA-Degree in Psychology/Sociology but working as a secretary for a well-known big company. I'm so frustrated.
Corné

Also check out alternative positions in your own company which might make better use of your skills ; and consider supplementing your satisfaction by doing some voluntary work at weekends with a charity / NGO in a field that interests you

6
Posted by: Corné | 2005/01/10

I did chat to Unisa, I must re-do Psycholog 3 in order to enroll for my Honors. There's no way I'm going through all that again.
I did very, very well in 1998, got distinctions in everything!

Reply to Corné
Posted by: Angel | 2005/01/10

If you contact UNISA and send them a copy of all the subjects you took, they will be able to tell you what additional subjects you might take to futher your course or to change direction. They will give you credit for some/all the subjects you took. This way you will still be able to work to pay for your studies. Check out their website. They have a career councelling department that may help you. Otherwise you may try to contact professional employment agencies to find you a good paying job abroad, if that's the way you want to go. Just be sure that you r not being conned. Good luck!

Reply to Angel
Posted by: Corné | 2005/01/10

Hi Guys

Thanks for your responses!!!
Also tried, same as Lizzie - no experience in HR.
I wanted to enroll for my Honors Degree in Psychology this year but Unisa won't let me because I passed Psychology 3 more than 6 years ago!! (1998)
Don't ask me why I waited so long, guess I didn't know about the time period. I was so sure this is what I wanted to do, so I'm severly "rattled" since I found out last week, that I can't do it.
It was my only hope out of this.

Reply to Corné
Posted by: lizzie | 2005/01/10

it sounds like we have the same problem. im 30, with a bcom honours in industrial psychology, but working as an assistant admin officer for the state. my task is to collect infor for the building stats surveys, and earn about R5900 pm

applied for hr posts, but theres no luck. approached the hr of my department but it did not help, with all the corruption here. went to several interviews last year but was turned down becos of no hr experience. even employment agencies want 6month experience.

my recent interview was internal and one of the panel members whispered to me privately that i was the successful candidate. after 2 weeks i asked the union to investigate because hr was not responding. They found out that the post was frozen becos the Hr head wanted his girlfriend to be given the post.

i have been trying for 3 yrs and i hope that 1 day i will secure an hr post. maybe i should go the uk, but how?

please inform me if u find a solution.

Reply to lizzie
Posted by: Liza | 2005/01/10

If you enjoyed what you studied - I think a change of job might be in order. If you don't feel like that is where you want to be anymore, I'm guessing its time to start studying something you really want to.

Universities usually give free advice with aptitude tests etc. to help you make up your mind. Call your closest one and find out.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Q | 2005/01/10

Hi sounds to me that you have a slight problem, You can go in to the public relations or hr department of your company or some other company!! My Wife studied the same and is currently a pro for the company she works for and is enjoying it tremendusly!!! Hr should suite you well!!!

Reply to Q