Question
Posted by: boby | 2004/11/20

CAREER

please help me expert i love journalism and my role model is DEBORRA PATTA she is amazing, my problem is i'm doing a science course right now the person who educate me believes in science, i dont like science my passion is journalism , she says there are no work oppotunities for journalism, and i'm doing this just to please her and i'm passing......what can i do to fulfil my dreams.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Boby,

I assume you mean that the person who is paying for your studies is insisting that you do science? It is unfortunate that sometimes parents and carers become over-involved by deciding what career their child should have. This is not fair to you, and you shouldn't feel pushed into any career you don't want to do.

There are opportunities in journalism, but television journalism is very competitive. Having your science qualification will do you know harm though, as journalists often specialise in a particular area which for you could be science. Alternatively you could apply to study journalism once you have your science qualification. There may also be study bursaries or scholarships that you could apply for to fund your studies. You could also consider writing to e-tv and SABC and ask them for advice on careers in journalism.

If journalism is your dream, don't let go of it. We sometimes have to go one route first before we finally get to where we want to be. So be patient because if your are determined to get there, then you will.

Don't give up!!