Question
Posted by: joey | 2006/04/20

care of new puppy

Dear Doc
I have just got a puppy of mixed breed. Something of everything -looks like border collie/jack russel. I think she is about 6 -7 weeks old. She was neglected, had runny tummy and worms. I have got the worm problem sorted out but the stools are still very loose. I give her tinned rice and chicken puppy food and pellets. She won't eat the pellets but loves marie biscuits. What is the best I can give her and how often and how much do I feed her? She is very active.She also scatches all the time mostly the same spot and her ear although she does not have any fleas. She had blue ticks, red ticks and fleas when she I got her but is now tick and flea clean. Could this be an allergy? I am new at this so will appreciated any help.

Thanks and regards

Please take your puppy to the vet for an examination and vaccination and deworming. Your vet can then identify any problems that need specific attention. He can also give you a diet to help clear up the diarrhoea, which is probably related to the diet and the worms. Depending on her size he can then also advise you how much to feed. A young puppy like that should eat at least four times per day. Your vet will be able to give the best advice once he has examined the specific puppy.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

4
Posted by: lo | 2006/04/23

hi
i rescue a lot of pups.just to be on the safe side take your new puppy to the vet for a check up it any way needs to have its first vaccination at 6 weeks plus needs to be dewormed every 14 days for the first few months of it life.
tinned food even for pups can cause runny tummies.
hills pellets that you get from any vet is the best.
runny tummies can be caused by worms,when you dewormed your pup did you give it a pill for all worms,normal supermarket deworming pills are not always for all the worms so they dont really work.go to your vet and ask for a pill called Drontol its the best deworming pill in my opinion.
hope your puppy gets better

Reply to lo
Posted by: Chill | 2006/04/22

Don't tamper too much with the runny tummy thing. I'd also go easy on the bulgarian yoghurt - some dogs may react well to this, but by no means all. My current puppy gets actual diarrhea from yoghurt (although she tolerates milk very well). Puppies often have loose stools and it's nothing much to worry about, unless it's totally liquid and 'out of control' - in which case a visit to the vet is called for.

Stick with the puppy food, and don't fuss around while she's eating. Do NOT pamper her in this respect just to get her to eat. The best philosophy is the one I heard recently: "My dogs have complete freedom when it comes to food: they can choose to eat, or not to eat. The rest is up to me".

The best thing for her is puppy pellets of a good quality - use the tinned stuff ONLY to 'flavour' it, if you must - mash it in and put on a bit of warm water. She won't starve and if she misses a meal or two because she wants Marie biscuits - that's a whole lot better than ending up malnourished.

The way to a spoiled dog is to rack your brain every day for something special that you think will tempt her to eat - I understand, she's new, she's your baby - but resist doing this. If you don't, you'll regret it later - there's nothing worse than a spoiled brat of a dog that turns up its nose at everything - and more important, it's not the way to a healthy eating regime.

Lots of puppies are 'itchy' - that will normally go away by itself. You've done your thing with respect to the fleas etc. If it remains a problem at vaccination time, tell your vet. For the rest: just relax and enjoy your pup.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: nan | 2006/04/20

I recently aquired a nrw pup aswell and had the same problem with runny stools. I gave the pup 2 Tsp of bulgarian yoghurt before every meal and fed him rice and chicken for a week and the stools got better they are still soft but atlease there is a shape to it now. Hope it works for you

Reply to nan
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/04/20

Marie biscuits are a no-no. Rather buy dog biscuits. Be very careful with human food - it has a big impact with weight gain and obesity.
Check your local book store or library for a good puppy raising book, find a good puppy group in your area (check they are reward based) and enjoy.

Reply to Acineth