Question
Posted by: Julie | 2003/03/24

Cardio or Weight training first

Hi, your advice would be appreciated.
I have been going to gym for some time now and do 20-30 mins cycling, treadmill or stepping and then usually about 30 mins of weight training. I am never sure if it is better to do the cardio first or weights. What do you recommend and for what reason?

Hi Julie

This will depend on your goals.

If you are on a weight loss programme it is suggested that you do a 10 minute cardio session to warm up then your weight training followed by your 20 -30 minute cardiovascular session. This, one, allows you to do your weight training efficiently without being exhausted and putting you at risk for injury and two, it allows you to already start the furnace burning by the time you get onto the bike or treadmill to do your fat burning cardio session. During this type of training programme you cannot unfortunately maximise your potential at both.

Therefore if you either want to increase your cardio vascular fitness or increase your lean body mass I would strongly suggest you split your programme so that you do not do both on the same day.

Good luck. I hope this answers your query. If not please feel free to mail us with further enquiry.