Question
Posted by: sideways | 2007/06/21

Cardio fitness

I race in formula-k and I am about to join a gym to help me improve my fitness. I need to improve my endurance, my cardio fitness and perhaps strength my upper body a little and loose about 4kgs. What excercises in the gym can you suggest?

There are many possibilities for you here, and it would be pretty lame for me to try to prescribe them to you in this format. The best of course is to see someone in the gym and they can assist you actually on the machines and draw up a programme. It's very difficult to be specific without first knowing your preferences, how long you have, what you are familiar with and so on.

But I think that for cardio, cycling, rowing and running are probably the best, also for endurance. The rowing might be especially helpful, since it also uses the upper body, lower back and trunk and that will help you more specifically. in terms of weights, it depends what part of the upper body you need to strengthen, but the usual arrangement of biceps, triceps, lats, pecs etc. would be what you need to do. So I would suggest you chat with the instructors at the gym and have them take you through the full set of upper body machines and free weights.