Question
Posted by: V | 2007/08/14

Cardio & Circuit

Hi Doc,

I read your previous response to someone elses same question. I am doing cardio (have been for the past three weeks). When I feel that I have shed the last 3 or 4 kilos (max) i will go onto 1 day cardio and 1 day circuit as I am looking to then tone. I will also perhaps include weights. So i will do a three day cycle consisting of cardio, circuit, weights. My question is this if i am doing the super circuit is weights all that nes for toning? I am also on a well balanced carb and protein diet (simular to the Body for Life). Am i on the right track? My body fat is currently 24% and i weigh 55kg.

Hi V

It sounds reasonable. If I understand correctly, you will be doing 3 days a week, split among those three types of sessions. That sounds good. I don't think that you need any more weights than this - you effectively have two sets of weight training days, because as you have asked, the circuit constitutes weight training too. So yes, that's probably all you need.

one thing that I would add is that perhaps you can look at doing a little more cardio - for example, when you do your weight training, adding in a 10minute warmup and a 5 to 10minute cooldown of walking, cycling or jogging helps a lot too. So look at combining cardio with weights in that fashion

2
Posted by: V | 2007/08/15

Hi Doc,

Thanks for your input, yes i am a 29 year old female. Would you suggest that i carry on with cardio until i have lost the +- 4 kgs? Or should i go directly to what you have suggested (3 day cardio and 3 day weights)?

Reply to V
Posted by: FitFanatic | 2007/08/15

Hi V

From your weight I take it you are female?

I personally strongly believe in weight training. Building muscle is important to maintain what you have achieved, improve on your achievement and for toning. You mention Body for Life. Look at their exercise patern, 3 days cardio and 3 days weight training. I would do more weight training than circuit training, but I know alot of people don't like doing weights, then I think circuit training is second best.

If you are going to do weight training, looking at your goal, I would suggest the following: Do 3 sets, 15 to 20 reps with light weight. This will burn fat, strengthen muscle(won't look like a body builder) and tone your body.

I was to write you a training program I would do 3 days weight training with 10 min cardio before and then 3 days cardio only for 20 to 30min depending on your fitness.

If you are not going to use a personal trainer, perhaps follow the Body for Life routine?

Hope this makes sense. Anything else, just ask

Happy Training
FitFanatic

Reply to FitFanatic