Question
Posted by: Cutie | 2004/03/04

Cardio and Weight training while sick......

Hi there,

I would like to know how dangerous it is to do Cardio and Weight training while you have a cold. Please advise...

Dear Cutie
I think you need to also ask Fitness Doc this question. I have always been told by physicians that one should NOT exercise when one has an infection, such as a cold, sore throat, etc, because this places too much stress on the body and can in certain cases lead to endocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle), which should be avoided at all costs. Rest and relax while you are feeling ills, drink plenty of fluids (fruit juice), take a multivitamin and mineral supplement such as Centrum and Salmon oil capsules (to boost omega-3 which increases immunity), and only return to exercise training when you are fully recovered.
Take care