Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2007/06/12

Cardio

I've bought myself a orbitrek and use it for High Intensity Interval Training (read about it in Longevity) for 20 minutes. If you give it your all, your totally exhaused after 20 minutes.

According to the display unit on the Orbitrek I do ± 7 - 8 km and burn 130 calories in a 20 minute session. In simple terms what does the calorie burn mean for me. I've also read in books that 20 minutes of cardio per day is sufficient provided that you do it right. What do you think?

Hi Lisa

The calorie burn is quite tricky to interpret. At its most basic, weight loss or gain is a function of calories in versus calories out. If you eat more than you burn during a day, you gain weight, and vice versa. But the problem is that you know only how many calories you burn over 20 minutes. What about the other 23 hours and 40 minutes!!! And also, you don't know with much accuracy how many calories you are eating per day. And then finally, if that wasn't enough, there is an issue about how accurate that value is anyway - it's just an estimate and it's possible that you could be burning 100 or as many as 200 Calories, in extreme cases. And so a lot of people try to lose weight by couning their calories, trying to take in fewer than they lose, but this is ultimately a defeating exercise. It just is not practical.

So my advice is to continue doing what you are, combine it with a decent, sensible eating plan and you should achieve results. But you should also focus on getting fitter, rather than weight loss. For example, in a month from now, you should be doing more than 8 km, in 20 minutes. You might even consider doing this session for 30 minutes, not just 20. That could also help you achieve results.

2
Posted by: Fiona | 2007/06/18

I also use this - but have found that after a while you will reach a plateau and you will maintain weight rather than loose. Over a period of 8/9 months I dropped almost 10kgs with exercise and diet, but find the best way to exercise is up and down ie. Go slow for 10 mintues then increase tempo for 20 minutes and then slow again for 5 etc. Dont do the same thing day in day out. Also get yourself a set of weight s and do simple weight training at home every second day - you will really see better results that way. Also adjust your resistance, I tend to sit of max for all of my work out, but you may not manage this to start so adjust up for 10 mins then drop down etc. Now with me being at my almost perfect weight I tend to want to enjoy and eat more so have upped by time to 60 mins, those extra calories make all the difference in winter, but will probably drop down again in summer to 40 min!

Reply to Fiona
Posted by: Kasandra | 2007/06/13

Hi lisa, also got orbitrek i also do 20minutes and i am died afterwards, also burn about 120cal in the 20min with different intensity levels, i do mondays _ fridays only 20min but push myself, whats ur states? i want to lose 4kg and started my training/eating plan 2weeks ago

Reply to Kasandra