Question
Posted by: June | 2004/10/19

Cardio

Hi all
Will cardio, like walking fast on treadmill, rowing and health walker also tone my body, especially thighs or MUST I do extra resistance training. Dont want to build muscle, only tone before December.

Thanx in advance

Hi June

It will tone for sure. You have to remember that things are never all or nothing in physiology or in the body. So, even though for toning, weight training is always recommended, even cardio does tone slightly. Just take a look at many long distance runners, who often never even look at a weight, but are still very toned. Same goes for cyclists. So, I think that you can tone by just doing cardio, but I would suggest that if you have time, you do some weight work too. It has other benefits, but the main thing is that it will cause muscle mass to increase a little faster than just cardio, and that has advantages for you. The important thing to remember when it comes to weight training and trying to tone is that you can either build muscle, as you don't want to do, or you can tone.If your aim were to build muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
• Perform 6-10 reps at a high intensity - use a weight that you could lift 12 to 15 times
• Perform 3-4 sets
• Rest 30-60 seconds between reps
• Train each muscle group at least once or twice a week
• Allow 48 hours rest between each muscle’s workout

If your aim were to tone muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
• Perform 10-15 reps but at a much lower intensity - use a weight that would allow you to lift the weight at least 25 times.
• Perform 4-6 sets
• Rest 30-60 seconds between reps

So, provided you don't do heavy weights, you should not build, so you can do weight work with a clear conscience, but definitely keep up the cardio!