Question
Posted by: Jacqui | 2008/05/22

Carbonated softdrinks

Please help me resolve an issue with my fiance.

My fiance is a 40 year old, active and reasonably healthy man. He is 1.84 and weighs approximately 100kg. He spends three weeks of every month at sea, confined to a shipping vessel. During this time, he has very little access to fresh fruit and vegetables and exists on mostly a protein diet. He takes tinned mussels, cheese, snack biscuits, bottled water etc. While he does not drink much coffee and tea on board, it has become a major issue between us that he consumes up to 8 x 2l bottles of coke during this period. I do not allow my children to drink carbonated cooldrinks - I believe they are unhealthy. But my fiance does no agree.
Also, with every cup of tea coffee he does drink, he adds to that about 4 teaspoons of sugar.
My fiance does not smoke or consume alcohol, except a glass or two of red wine when we go out.
Am I wrong? if not how do I convince him what he is doing to himself is harmful? All I want is a long healthy life with him!!!!!
Thank you for any input.
REgards

Expert ImageNatural health

hi

excess sugar is not beneficial for the body and may push you into a state of insulin resistance. the symptoms of this would be fatigue, weight gain especially around the abdomen, increased thirst, decrease of energy and better for eating. A fasting blood test might be an idea to see what his blood sugar levels are. this would include fasting glucose, fasting insulin ect. Refined sugar also takes magnesium out your system and symptoms may include low mood.

Dr Debbie