Question
Posted by: minime | 2004/10/19

carbonated mineral water

hi
is carbonated mineral water a good alternative to regural tap water since i dont really like to drink water but i find that when it is flavor water(non-nutritive sweeteners) that i can easily make 2lt per day. why i ask is that when i drink it i dont go to the toilet as much as when it is just regular water. does carbonated water promote water retention cause it feels as if it does not flush out my system because my urine remain slightly yellow and not as clear as when i drink regular water?

Dear Minime
Please stop drinking so much water. You will wash important minerals out of your body (calcium, magnesium potassium, sodium) and develop electrolyte imbalances. You only need to drink 2-3 glasses of water a day in addition to the other liquids you ingest. Some people even develop so-called 'water intoxication' if they overdo their water intake. Moderation is the key. I cannot say why you should get this reaction when you drink mineral water instead of tap water. It could be that the drinks contain some colourant which is making your urine yellow.