Question
Posted by: chris | 2008/01/22

Carboloading drink without perservatives

Hi, I Swim about 2,5km a day, and find it necessarry to drink a sports drink with high carbo content, the problem is that all the comercial products like energade ect, contains certain perservatives or colourants that produce flem in my air ways, which make it extremely difficult to train with. Is there any alternative? Please help.

Hi Chris

I don't know that any are, unfortunately. I was talking to the Powerade Brand Manager the other day and they have plans to do this, they are in the process of sorting out the logistics in terms of bottling etc., but I don't know when that will be available. But all the others, even internationally, have preservatives, as far as I know. How about fruit juices? They have basically the same level of carbohydrates, usually slightly higher, so if you can drink fruit juices, you'd be replacing the same energy as for a sports drink. You do get preservative free fruit juices, as well.