Question
Posted by: Nicolette | 2003/01/16

Carbohydrates transformed to fat

Please could you tell me whether it is possible for your body to convert carbohydrates into fat? I understood that it does get absorbed by the mussels, but not stored as fat.

Dear Nicolette
Anyone of the 3 so-called macronutrients (fat, carbohydrate, protein) and alcohol, can be converted into fat and stored in the human body IF you ingest more energy than your body requires. However, carbs are the body's prime energy source, so when you need energy you will first burn your carbs, then your protein and last of all your fat. Research has also shown that dietary fat is PREFERENTIALLY stored as body fat, whereas carbs and protein are not. If you, therefore, eat a diet rich in carbs, but preferably high-fibre carbs, which contains moderate amounts of protein and very little fat, then you will be less inclined to gain weight and more inclined to lose weight.
Energy is stored in the form of a carbohydrate called glycogen in the liver and the muscles to be instantly available, e.g. when you exercise.