Question
Posted by: Puppy Mom | 2006/07/17

Car Sick Daschund

I have a 5 month old Daschund. I live in Durban and like to take her to the beach with me. The problem is that she gets car sick (mostly at the end of the journey when the car stops). I read in the archive about wraps and eco vet. I am going to ask my vet about medication, but I would like to know what the best way to transport her is? At the moment she sits on the back seat. Should I look at getting her a crate, or letting her see out the window better?

Do you feed your pup before taking to the beach or does the time of feeding not affect her nausea? I woiuld be wary of medication that can affect her consciousness especially if going to the sea. Some can make dogs drowsy. Crating her will probably not change anything. It is difficult to transport small dogs in such a way that they can look out of the window. Ideally all dogs should be restrained on the back seat so that in the event of an accident they are not thrown around the car. Dog "safety belts" are available from your local vet or VetShop.

6
Posted by: Gabi & Gina's mom | 2006/07/19

I'm not sure if this is true, but I've been told that it's the feeling of "security" that makes the wraps work. I had no idea when I started this method, that she would get over the problem. I thought I would be stuck ith having to wrap hr every time we went in the car. It was only when I had to go out a short notice, that I took a chance, so to speak, and there was no sickness. I then tried it again, and again, no sickness. I then just continued not wrapping, but knowing that if the sickness returns, I'd have to go back to wrapping. To date (about 7 months now) I've not had to do another wrap.

If you can't get the safetly belts, try a voyager. This will restrict her movement in the car, and also avoid her getting in your way when drivig. She will also feel a lot safer, bing confined in the car.

Reply to Gabi & Gina's mom
Posted by: Puppy Mom | 2006/07/18

The time of feeding doesn't seem to affect the nausea. The last trip to the beach was at 1pm and we had fed her breakfast at 7am.

I haven't had a chance to try the wrap yet, will also look into the safety belts.

Reply to Puppy Mom
Posted by: Chill | 2006/07/18

I think this wraps idea is great, and just want to add that very often it's stress that causes the carsickness. My little rescued dog is so frightened if he's in the car by himself, and will puke within half a kilometre of home... but if I put him in the car with my other dog, who loves it - he's fine, no puking at all.

So what I'm saying is, if you can get your dog over that fear, then it could be that the problem's solved, and the wrap may help in that it gives the dog a sense of security. A few drops of rescue remedy sure wouldn't hurt either.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: YORKIE GRANNY | 2006/07/17

I would like to confirm that this method given above really does work and it is not just something stupid. Do try it. It will avoid giving he tablets and avoid you clean a smelly car and 4 legged baby.

Reply to YORKIE GRANNY
Posted by: Puppy Mom | 2006/07/17

Thanks, I will try the wraps because I also take my daschund on shorter trips fairly often so I don't like the idea of giving her too many pills.

Any idea why the wraps work?

How did you know when the problem was solved?

Reply to Puppy Mom
Posted by: Gabi & Gina's mom | 2006/07/17

I had this problem with my Yorkie - she used to get very car sick. I tried everything, possible and found the wraps to be most successful.

I like to take Gabi with me in the car, so tablets are not a viable option for me, becuase there ususally is not time to wait for the tablet to take effect.

The wraps are very easy to do, and I only had to wrap her for about 6-8 trips, then the problem was solved. Thsi is wht I did:

Put a baby cotton vest on your puppy
Take a piece of stretch crepe bandage (I used one about 8cm wide) and find the centre.
Place this under the chest, in front of the front legs. (with the ends sticking out on each side)
Now take the two ends and bring them up and over the shoulder blades in a "x"across her blades/back
Take the ends and cross then under her rib cage, behind the front legs
Lift the ends and come back and make an "x" across hr shoulder blades again, and back under her chest in front of the front legs.
Go accross the blades again, and under the rib cage.
End by bringing the two ends up, and tucking them into the "x" on her back.

Please just make sure that the wrap is not too tight that it's hurting her, but it must be tight enough to support her.

Hope this helps you - good luck!

Reply to Gabi & Gina's mom