Question
Posted by: Worried | 2007/03/01

Cantraceptive patch

I want to find out if the contraceptive patch is available abd where? How safe is it? and lastly side effects like gaining weight, headaches and mood swings are they also applicable to this contraceptive method?

The patch is available. You can get it at pharmacies. It is more than 99% safe. Like most forms of contraception, side effects vary form person to person.

2
Posted by: reply | 2007/03/02

i was on the patch also and had no side effects, the only thing was that the patch leaves marks all over your body and i was also always concerned about it coming off or lifting on the sides after a bath or swimming. I am now on yasmin. But anyway, its a personal choice. Whatever works for you. Good luck.

Reply to reply
Posted by: Purple | 2007/03/02

You can buy it over the counter for about R100 (for three patches - a months supply), or you can get a prescription from your gynae or GP, and then it will go through your medical aid (if your med aid pays for contraceptives).

I've used it for nearly a year now and find it extremely convenient because you only have to change it once a week not like taking a pill every day.

In the first few weeks I found it itched dreadfully, I got nausea and headaches, but those side effects cleared up and I feel fine now.

Reply to Purple