Question
Posted by: Sleepy | 2007/04/17

Cant sleep because of nightmares

Good day CS
I am having really terrible nightmares and its always sort of the same dream. I dream that i fall asleep. I then hear a noise and want to wake up to go and find out what the problem is. When i then try to open my eyes, they just dont want to open and so i cant see what or who is in my surroundings. I feel trapped and extremely scared. But no matter what i do, my eyes do not want to open. I can sometimes make out sort of where i am and who the people around me are, but i cant seem to figure out what is going on around me. This dream feels like it goes on forever, but when i wake up, i only slept for about twenty minutes or so. What can i try to do to figure out what my fear is. I am currently drinking sleeping tablets because without them i will never sleep. I have sorted out previous problems but this one is a mystery to me. I know that i am afraid of something but not sure how to figure out what this fear may be. Your assistance will be appreciated in this regard.

Odd, isn't it, to dream about sleeping -- or even to dream about dreaming ? Best have this checked with a good local shrink ; the sleeping pills might help in some ways, but could also promote bad dreams in other ways. There are also normal but alarming things ( which what you describe sounds a bit like ) such as Sleep Paralysis, which occurs in that half-waking state, when your brain starts to wake up just briefly before you regain full conscious control of your muscles, and it can have that odd sense of being out of control of yourself. The shrink may be able to recommend different medication which might help promote normal sleep, as well as to rid you of the nightmares

3
Posted by: Sleepy | 2007/04/19

Thanks for the advice Cybershrink. I will make a plan to go and see someone.

Lyn - I have tried every trick in the book, it doesn't help, so this is obviously a bit more serious than I thought. I never sleep on my back, I always sleep on my sides. But thanks anyway.

Reply to Sleepy
Posted by: RMC | 2007/04/17

Lyn, I dream no matter what possie. Last night I dreamed that the idiot here was carrying on as usual and my boss was suporting him, we were sitting across a desk from each other so I grabbed a bottle of tht all gold squeeze tomato sauce and squirted it all over them!

Reply to RMC
Posted by: Lyn | 2007/04/17

Hi Sleepy

Do not sleep on your back sleep on your sides. This will not happen again you will see. Just make sure you sleep on your sides. Used to happen to me and discovered it happened only if i sleep on my back and never happen when i sleep on my side. Go on give it a try. You'll thank me

Reply to Lyn