Question
Posted by: lorna | 2007/08/14

Cant loose weight after giving birth

Before i fell pregnant last year my weight was 52 and now after giving birth in January i am on 61.... i am not breast feeding anymore Dr please help how do i go back to my normal shape of no tummy and big thighs ...i hate my body and i have been sturving myself and its not working pls help with a diet or excersise tips

Hi Lorna

Losing the weight can be difficult, but the principles are the same regardless of the situation or circumstances. The keys are diet and exercise. Diet is probably as important, if not more important than exercise is, so the very first thing you can do is get to a dietician and make sure that you are eating correctly.

With regards to exercise, it is the cardio training, like cycling, running, stepping, aerobics, walking etc. that is most helpful in losing weight. All these activities cause heart rate to go up, and are increasing your body's metabolic rate, which ultimately causes you to lose weight by burning more fat (again, assuming you are also eating well). So I would say you should continue with what you are doing, keep focussed on the cardio. I think that 4 times a week is the minimum you should aim to exercise, five is probably the ideal number, but four is fine too. The intensity you train is also very important. A lot of times, people train a little too easy, perhaps. I am not saying you should go out and push super hard and exhaust yourself every day, but stepping up the intensity once or twice a week is certainly a good thing. You should aim for a total of 45 minutes or so (anything between 30 and 50 minutes is a good average), and you should finish each session feeling tired, but not exhausted. If you do that, and you eat well, then you should lose weight.

Finally, the weight training is also beneficial, though it has a different effect - by doing weight training, you increase your muscle mass, and that means that you body's metabolic rate is lifted. The effect of this is that once you begin to lose weight, you keep it off more than you would by simply dieting. So it is important to do some resistance training, though one or two sessions a week is plenty for the goals of fitness and weight loss.

So just keep it up, give it a few months to work - remember, you have to be consistent, one month of training, one month resting is not really that effective, it should be a steady training period over many months to really see great results.

One of the things that makes this most difficult after pregnancy is that your life situation changes so drastically, so finding time to exercise and controlling your eating is really difficult. But you have to make an effort to do this, finding ways to exercise and eat well. Finding a friend to do it with you will also help enormously, so it's certainly something I'd recommend!