Question
Posted by: handles... | 2004/11/10

Cant get rid of tummy and love handles

HI.. Ive always been TINY (50KG) Now Recently my weight has balooned and ive gained 8KGS! Ive been excercising heavily (cardio and strength training) and eating right.but still no loss!!! what do i do...THe major problem right now is my stomach and love handles that wont disappear...What am i doing wrong...

Hi Handles

THe first thing to do is to identify what the problem was that caused your weight to go up. There will be something, whether it is the lifestyle, or diet or exercise routine, I can't say, but definitely you will find something there that might explain it. Simply undoing that might do the trick.

As for the exercise training, the scientific truth is that one cannot "spot reduce". That is, you can't really try and reduce the fat around your stomach, thighs and abdominals by just doing exercises for those areas. This kind of exercise, using specific muscles only, actually burns fewer calories than exercising large muscles groups in dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

Having said that, it is still important to do some strengthening and toning exercise and obviously to include exercises that make use of the muscle groups in your abdominal area. The exercises that you do will depend on whether you have access to a gym or you do body weight exercises at home. I would suggest you have a look at the following website through the Health 24 site - http://www.health24.com/fitness/Build_muscle_Tone/16-478-504.asp

Lastly, keep in mind that this is a very common problem, and changes in certain areas can happen very slowly, because some people do just have a specific distribution of fat, and it can be hard to fight against this.

However, be patient and keep at it!