Posted by: Bambi | 2008/08/21

Cant donate (blood doesn'  t flow)

Hi There,

I'  m a little concerned because i just tried donating blood and was UNSUCCESSFUL because my blood didn'  t want to flow out to the little bag. When they took the needle out to try on the other side, the blood was flowing quite nicely and we had to put pressure for about 2 minutes to get it to stop.

The other arm provided even less blood and then they said that i had poor veins because they were definitely in the veins and the blood was not coming out.

I'  m afraid that it may be sign that i need to get checked out. I'  m 34, do step aerobics 3 times a week.

Hi Bambi
The needle they use for the blood donation is quite thick and the bag has negative pressure, so if they put the needle in a too small vein, it won't fill up properly ( the sucking pressure is too high and it closes up) . It is not a sign of any serious disease or problem. The person that put the needle in maybe just did not get a good vein or tried too superficial.

Posted by: Bambi | 2008/08/22

Reply to Bambi