Question
Posted by: Me | 2005/12/15

Cant conceive and no periods

i've stopped using yasmin for the past 3 months as i'm trying to conceive. now i am not getting any periods but i am not pregnant either. can you please tell me when i'll start having regular periods and if using yasmin has affected my fertility.
thanks

dear me

I do apologise for the delyed response. After stopping the oral contraceptive, your menstrual cycle should have returned immediately. The fact this has not happened indicates a hormonal imbalance which may need to be addressed.
There are three likely causes for this.
1. A thyroid abnormality
2. Possible elevated prolactin levels which may be secondary to prolonged use of the contraceptive pill.
3. Ovulatory dysfunction which is secondary to PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome).

A simple hormone profile (blood test) should be significant to rule out the cause, and treatment is rather simple in this situation.

It would be important to know what your menstrual cycle pattern was prior to starting the contraception.
Should you have had similar episodes of amennorrhaea (absence of menses), prior to use of the pill, then this could indicate a more serious underlying problem or even suggest early ovarian failure.

However, the blood tests that I have referred to previously would be more than adequte to make the diagnoses.

2
Posted by: holly jolly | 2005/12/24

I, too, got off yasmin 3 mos. ago and have not had a period. i previously used ortho-cyclen and did not menstruate the 1st month but did after one round of provera. this time provera did not work. i am wondering if it's the yasmin. frustrating!

Reply to holly jolly
Posted by: Niki | 2005/12/15

Don't worry you are not alone I've got the same problem I've been off the pill for 1 yaer and 6 monthes and nothing has happend as yet.
I have been told that it takes anything from 1 to 1.5 years to conceive after using contraceptives like the pill.
and the period part I think it might be from your bodygoing through a shocking stage and needs to get used to not having a progrostreon dosage everyday I suppose just hang in there girl your periods shoul return to normal very soon if not go see your doc.

Good luck for the future and keep trying there's always hope.

Niki

Reply to Niki