Question
Posted by: stubborn | 2008/01/24

cant breathe

please can you help me, my husband has not been able to breathe for about 8 weeks now. his nose completely blocks up. he has been using a nasal spray otrivrin, has been to the doctor who gave him demazin but it is not helping. his chest is always tight as well. can this condition be serious? how can we tell our doctor that he is not helping by just dishing out medication.

Dear Stubborn
This is terrible! Let him try Beconase nose spray morning and night for at least a month, but be warned – it will only start working after a week or so as it is a slow working local cortisone spray. He can use his Otrivin with the Beconase for a few days until he starts feeling the effect. Put him on a long acting antihistamine like Loratidine at night. Sometimes they need a low dose of oral cortisone for a few days just to get rid of the stuffiness – ask your doctor about this? If all else fails, please ask your doctor to refer him to an ENT specialist.

1
Posted by: Karen | 2008/01/24

I would rather go to a specialist, they do thorough checks not just handing out medication like a gp does, costs more but is worth it in the ling run, specially for peace of mind that it is not something more serious.

Reply to Karen