Question
Posted by: breathless | 2006/11/09

cant breathe

Doc, please help me. It feels like my throat is closed up, my scalp tight, my jaws clench, I cant breathe, and my whole body tenses up for no reason. When I bring my thoughts to say relax, with a lot of effort and concentration, I can. However, as soon as I forget, the whole thing starts over again and I battle to get air. How can I stop this? Nothing is stressing me at the moment. Please help, it is becoming unbearable! thanks.

Sounds like an Anxiety Disorder, which, fortunately, responds really well to treatment. CBT style counselling could help a lot, especially as you have already observed that with effort and concentration you are able to relax --- but can help you learn to relax easily and whenever you need to do so. Medication can also help, but CBT is better as it has lasting benefits, and most of the meds used can be expensive, and tranquillizers can lead to dependency.