Posted by: Jackie | 2007/05/13


I have a major problem when it comes to studying and i've had this problem from highschool. Now that i am at varsity it is really taking its toll. I find that when it comes to studying i cannot detach myself emotionally from other things that happened in the past or earlier that day or an unpleasant experience with someone. These are just a few examples. I find myself daydreaming for hours instead of doing my work. Time goes by and i don't meet my deadlines. I love my work and i find i still daydream even if what i am studying is really interesting. I don't know if having a vivid imagination and being left handed has a role to play in this. If this goes on further i don't see myself being sucessful in my future career. Please HELP. Thank you.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Hi Jackie,
Actually, one can become quite easily caught up in a vicious cycle, as one finds it hard to concentrate on one's studies, panics about this, finds it hard to concentrate, becomes more anxious about even the propect of studying, starts to avoid opportunities for studying, anticipating problems, which makes them feel worse, and so on.
Left-handedness is irrelevant here, and the vivid imagination doesn't need to be any part of the problem -- indeed you could make it part of the solution to use it to study more effectively. See what's available through student counselling / educational support services wherever it is that you are studying, as they should have available both some simple counselling dealing with relaxation and focussing, and study techniques coaching.
When you have your timetable you set yourself, and, on starting a study phase, you find the stray daydreamy thoughts floating into your mind, picture them as insects, like flies, which are noisy and annoying, and picture yourself swatting them away, and concentrating on whatever it is that you are studying.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.