Question
Posted by: Scarneck | 2005/06/20

Cannabis and first 12 weeks of pregnancy

I have just found out that I am pregnant and in my first trimester. Prior to finding out that I was pregnant, I smoked some cannabis and I want to know if it can harm my baby in the first 3 months of pregnancy. I have been told that in the first trimester the embryo does not get fed through your blood supply and it lives off the sac. Please can you shed some light on this.

For the first 10 days after conception, things that you ingest are not transferred to the fetus, thereafter they are. Cannbis may increase the risk of a low birthweight baby, but is not though to cause any abnormalities.

3
Posted by: Lecturer | 2005/06/21

PARIS did you not read what I said???

I said:

"if there was even the slightest chance you could have been pregnant"

I know she didn't know when she smoked cannabis but she must have known that there was a chance if she was having unprotected sex. duh

Reply to Lecturer
Posted by: PARIS | 2005/06/21

Lecturer, did you not read what scarneck said? she only found out now that she's pregnant. Dont be so harsh on the poor girl.

Scarneck, did you only smoke it once or have you been smoking it on an ongoing basis? I would be straight up with your doc/gynea so he can do the necessary checks. I am sure every thing will be fine though. You read of people doing much worse (cocaine, heroine) and there babies are born without any defects.

But please just make sure, obviously you wont be doing this sort of thing now, and i hope every thing works out for the best.

PARIS
XXX

Reply to PARIS
Posted by: Lecturer | 2005/06/21

Anything harmful you consume once the embryo had implanted in your uterus (4 wks pregnant) can affect your baby. The first 12 weeks are the most important as everything is forming - did you know that by 12 weeks the baby is completely formed (all its vital organs). Its a perfect, just very tiny baby and from then on just develops more and grows bigger.
I think youre very irresponsible to be smoking cannabis if there was even the slightest chance you could have been pregnant. You know if you're having sex and whether its possible to fall pregnant!!! I hope you haven't harmed your baby! I suggest you tell your gynae as he will need to know to check for defects.

Reply to Lecturer