Posted by: not fair | 2008/09/03

Cankles gross

I' m very small and petite and thin, yet I have cankles. Is there any way to get rid of them or is surgery the only option. What causes this. I want to wear high heels but my legs just look terrible. For some one as thin as me I shouldn' t have cankles It' s not all that bad. I just get a complex now and again and it also depends on what I wear overall just makes it look funny sometimes. I also have these knick knack toes that curl inwards a bit.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Not Fair

For those readers unfamiliar with the term 'cankles', here is abrief discription:

The area in affected female legs where the calf meets the foot in an abrupt, non-tapering terminus; medical cause: adipose (fatty) tissue surrounding the soleus tendon, probably congenital, worsened by weight gain and improved in appearance only by boots. From the English "calf" meaning wide portion of the lower leg, and "ankle" meaning slender joint of leg with foot.

Unfortunately there is not a lot that can be done apart from liposuction around the ankles which can have good results. Also, exercises which build and define the calf muscles can improve the appearance.

As far as toes that curl inward slightly go, again, not much that can be done. Correction would be surgical and only to be considered when the deformity becomes extremely painful or affects walking.

Sorry, no magic wand for these problems!