Question
Posted by: Bev | 2004/10/09

CANDIDA(yEAST iNFECTION)

DEAR DIET DOC,

WHAT IS THE BEST TREATMENT AND DIET FOR CANDIDA ALBICANS.
THANKS,
BEV

Dear Bev
The best dietary treatment for Candida is the use of probiotics (good bugs) to counteract the effects of the overgrowth of the Candida yeast. Use Acidoforte (buy at health shops) and eat a balanced diet rich in protective nutrients such as fruits and vegetables, unsifted grains and cereals, low-fat milk and yoghurt and mono- or polyunsaturated oils (olive oil) and lean meat, fish and eggs. Cutting all kinds of foods out of your diet will only lead to deficiencies of essential nutrients and not make any difference to your infection. Also ask your dr to do a swab test and send it to be cultured as women sometimes have a different species of Candida causing the infection which does not respond to standard antifungal treatment.
Hang in there

1
Posted by: Bev | 2004/10/14

Dear Diet Doc,

Thanks so much for your help,I really appreciate it!! I will get my GP to send me for a swab test and a food tolerance test as wheat,gluten and diary don't agree with me.My GP did prescribe
Mystatin,Sporanox and Interflora for 3months.I have cut out sugar,flour,white rice and anything that contains wheat.Do you recommend a detox diet and colon cleanse,I have been experiencing withdrawal symptons since I was diagnosed with Candida and stopped eating the wrong foods which have caused my problems.I have been suffering for the past 3yrs,had a Hiatus Hernia 2yrs ago.How long will it take to start feeling like a human again? I had done 5 Argus(in 3 and a half hours +) rides before my problems started and have not been able to get back to any sort of cycling!! From being a very fit person,full of energy to my present self finding just getting up in the morning an effort!!
It took a woman substitute GP to diagnose Candida,she took one look at my file and what I have been through the past few months,chronic fatigue,indigestion,contipation,high blood pressure,shingles,throats infections,joint pains,thrush etc etc.
Our local health shop have been a great help as the owner also suffers with Candida.I will ask him tomorrow if he has Acidaforte,can I take it with the above precribed treatment?
Thanking you again,
Bev

Reply to Bev