Question
Posted by: CANDIDA | 2003/12/17

CANDIDA WHAT TO EAT WHAT TO AVOID?

I have recently had an awful bout of thrush and for the first time had oral thrush. I did a bit of research and have discovered there are foods I should avoid which I have been doing for the past 2 weeks and have been drinking only filtered water. This has limited me dramatically and I am now stuck with the question of what I can eat? Please give me some ideas. I started eating linseeds and a mixture of sunflower. pumpkin and sesame seeds. Whenever I eat these seeds I get a very sore throat. This must mean I am allergic or sensitive to the seeds? Which of these is it likely to be?

I have had a bad time with sinus and think this is all linked to the withdrawal from the food I normally eat, I have been feeling dizzy, my ears are blocked and I have a general feeling of not being well. The symtoms are how I feel if I get flu. Am I right in thinking these are withdrawal symptoms from eating better?

Dear Reader
There is no solid evidence that cutting out certain foods will actually improve candida infections in various parts of the body. You need to have antifungal treatment including an antifungal cream for your poor throat. Candida is a microorganism or fungus that is present all over our bodies and it only starts to take over and flourish when our natural resistance and immunity is depleted by factors such as stress, antibiotic treatments for other infections, vitamin and mineral deficiencies (which will get worse if you start cutting out all kinds of foods), use of hormone treatments (female hormones and corticosteroids), etc. I would advise you to have a thorough medical checkup to see if you don't have an underlying health problem which is making the situation worse (e.g. insulin problems), to use antifungal treatment, to consult a clinical dietitian (Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian) and to start taking 'good' microorganisms such as Acidoforte (buy at chemist) and using Vagiforte (also buy at health shops) for the vaginal thrush.

2
Posted by: Kate | 2003/12/23

Since not drinking orange juice, I do not suffer from Candida anymore. I cut out all acidic foods and drinks from my diet about seven years ago after someone suggested it may help with thrush. It did and I haven't had thrush since!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: john | 2003/12/18

Dear Candida

There is definitely a link between diet and candida infections

You need to go on a carbohydrate restricted diet.

This means you need to avoid foods rich in carbohydrate. This unfortunately includes fruit, sugar, bread, potato, rice etc.

The Atkins diet is ideal for getting rid of candida (you will never get rid of it but rather get it under control). There are other diets one can follow but they are variations to the Atkins diet. Do not expect immediate results - it will take time but the results are dramatic. You will have withdrawal symptoms but you will have to work through it.

Taking anti fungals does not work - the ultimate cure to candida is through diet. If you feed candida the stuff it likes (carbohydrates) and your immune system is low because of bad diet you will never get rid of candida even by using the best anti fungals.

Reply to john