Question
Posted by: K | 2008/07/10

Candida

Hey DietDoc

I have 2 questions. I suffer from candida and was wondering if there are any diet rules that could help? Also my brother is an insomniac of note - could you recommend any foods that could help?

Dear K
To answer your questions: 1) Some of the leading microbiologists in SA have stated in public that dietary factors do NOT affect Candida infections and cutting out foods like fruit, sugar and wheat will effectively starve the patient, but not affect the Candida organism! All human beings live in harmony with millions of yeasts such as Candida which occur naturally on our bodies. If something upsets the balance between the 'good' microorganisms and the potentially 'bad' organisms like Candida, then the Candida starts to flourish and you get infections. Factors that can promote the overgrowth of 'bad' microorganisms like Candida are stress, hormone treatments, antibiotics, obesity, etc. It may be useful for your dr to test a swab of your infection (e.g. the vagina, mouth, etc) to see which type of Candida you suffer from as different strains react to different antifungal preparations. It helps to use probiotics or 'good microorganisms' like Acidoforte by mouth and Vagiforte by vagina (buy at health shops) to help combat the Candida. Combine this with anti-fungal treatment as prescribed by your dr and a normal balanced diet.
2) I would recommend that your brother should have a medical checkup to determine why he is suffering from insomnia as there are many factors that can contribute to this condition (stress, anxiety, depression - which all require counselling or medical treatment). From a dietary perspective drinking a glass of warm milk at night may help because milk is rich in an amino acid called tryptophan that increases the serotonin levels in the brain and can induce sleep.