Question
Posted by: ida | 2007/03/22

candida

Plz give me a diet to help with candida, to get rid of bloating, etc. I find that bread in general that bread affects me. Does this work for a candida diet: MEVY diet --- meat, eggs, vegetables and yoghurt. Thanks! Ida

Dear Ida
I trust that you are being treated by a medical dr for your Candida with antifungals? If not, do please see you gp or gynae for this type of treatment. I do not personally believe that foods play a role in Candida, as some of the leading SA microbiologists have not ever found any link between diet and Candida. It helps to use probiotics or 'good bugs' like Acidoforte by mouth and Vagiforte by vagina (buy at health shops) to help combat the Candida. Combine this with anti-fungal treatment as prescribed by your dr and a normal balanced diet. The Candida would not cause bloating, but a wheat intolerance could. If you have a wheat intolerance then you need to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will work out a diet for you that avoids all wheat which will automatically remove most of the wheat fibre from your diet. If you visit the Website of the Allergy Association at: www.allallergy.net then you should find lists of foods that contain wheat. Also click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food-related diseases' and read the articles on wheat and gluten allergy.