Question
Posted by: AB | 2005/07/22

Candarel sweetners

I would like to know if there are any harmful substances in Canderel Sweetners? I am a diabetic and have started using same. I have been told by more than one person that there is harmful substances in Canderel.

Dear AB
There are no harmful substances in Canderel which is made from an amino acid called phenylalanine which you get from proteins that we eat every day. There is a small group of individuals who suffer from a genetic condition called phenylketonuria who cannot metabolise phenylalanine. But the rest of us can use this sweetener without any problems.