Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2007/02/22

Cancer in the Family

Dear Cybershrink

How have you been? Hope the New Year is treating you well so far, I need some advise and help please. Last year my dad went for cancer tests - he has to do it on a six month basis due to the fact that he had prostate cancer before. He had to get the last test in February but keep pursponing it - His PH or what ever you call it *Cancer count been creeping up* I know his scared but is it not beter knowing.

Well his going now next week and probably will have to start treatment - This sort of injections that he needs to take like Chemo - Its all very nerve recking for me - I dont know how bad it is and what is really happening all I know is his cancer is really back.

My doctor has given me Rhyponol again *the only sleeping pill that helps for me* the others all make me drosy the next day (I only take half every now and again to help me sleep cause i have nasty nightmares.

He also gave me Lundbeck Fluanxol Tablets for stress and anxiety cause my minds been racing and I am spiraling into a depression making me unable to gym or enjoy the things I normally do.

Could you tell me a bit more about Fluanxol?

I had a few episodes where I had a bit to much to drink in the last 2 months not alot but occassionaly - with my past history I dont know if it will be a good idea to cut out alcohol out of my routine just till things are back to normal. When ever that must be.

I want to be there for my dad and mother but its very hard and tough on me emotionally..... I look like my dad and have always been told I am like my dad so its hard do seperate our emotions and feelings.

Any advise or books I can read would be much appreciated, Or advise from other readers on this forum who's been through this.

My dad had cancer before but I was rapped up in my own problems and things at that stage of my life.

Getting by, thanks, even in this frying weather, though with some backache / poin pain that makes it more tedious.
GOod to hear from you again. I understand your dad's hesitancy to find out what's happening with the prostate, but as you say, knowing is best --- you can't cope with what you don't know. Is it possible that he could ask his doctor to explain the situation to you and the family ? Fluanxol is an interesting drug which has been around for some time, and helps relieve anxiety while being mildly antidepressant, too. Alcohol is rarely beneficial in these sorts of situations -- it can undermine the effectiveness of ADs, and is itself depressant, as its primary effect.
The Cancer Association may have programs for families of people with cancer, which could be helpful

1
Posted by: Joanne E | 2007/02/22

Shame, man! I sympathise with you. Alcohol might numb you a but but I'd suggest stopping it all now so that your mind can be sharp, and it does not go to well with Rohypnol. Don't feel guilty either -- your dad is still around and you can still be there for him.

Reply to Joanne E