Question
Posted by: Lynne | 2003/12/22

cancer and diet

I had cancer and used Tamoxifen for 4 years. I am battling to lose weight - gained 20 kilograms in 7 years!! Can it be that the Tamoxifen has something to do with this?

Dear Lynne
I am sorry to hear that you were so ill. Any hormonal or hormone-related medication can either cause weight gain or make losing weight more difficult. In view of this, I would advise that you consult a clinical dietitian in the new year who will help you with a slimming diet that takes your special needs into account. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian, but keep in mind that most people are going to be on leave over the Festive Season (including me!).
Wishing you all of the best