Question
Posted by: lkight | 2004/11/11

cancer and depressions genetics

my boyfriend has a lot of cancer in his family and depression. now what are the chances that our children could get it.

i just want to tell you as well my grandmother is his grandmother's sister, we never met before , only last year. we are in love, but now we must face reality and realise that there could be sickness carried over to our children and should decide if it is worth going on with the realationship, but i dont want to end it and our children could have been perfect. and now i then lose out on true love.?

please help.

Some cancers are heriditary, others not, so it depends on what type of cancer his family had. Depression can also be heriditary. Your biggest problem though is that you are closely related. I would suggest that you consult a geneticist to see if there are any illnesses which are in both families.

2
Posted by: lkight | 2004/11/14

do you know of genetics in the gauteng area?

Reply to lkight
Posted by: Jessica | 2004/11/11

Cancer can be carried over by genetics and depression as well. I know that marrying somebody who is family isn't good and am however not sure how close is to close.

Just a word of causion, although your children may be perfect all of them, there might be some abnormalities with their children or later,

I would rather not go for this, but it will be interesting to see what gynaedoc says

Jessica

Reply to Jessica