Posted by: Ruby | 2008/10/08

Thanks Dr, I am better now. My HR is faster now again (60s) and I feel better :-)

I want to ask you about a friend of mine. Shes 32 and was diagnosed with breast cancer Nov 2007. She actually never had any cancer in her breasts, but only on her liver (but the type of cancer is breast cancer). She was on chemo that got rid of the cancer, but she responded badly to the chemo and was in a coma for 3 days. She completely recovered, but 6 months later the cancer was back (2cm). She decided to first try some herbal stuff (because of her previous experience with the chemo). Herbal stuff did not work and a month later she started the chemo again. Now she told me that the doctors cant help her anymore. Basically, her liver is so swollen and inflamed that they cant give her more chemo (the chemo makes it worse). She takes morfien every 4 hours for the pain (she says that it helps, without it she have incredible pain). I just want to ask what it normally means when the doctors cant help anymore... How long do you think she will be able to survive?? She is only 32. Do you by any chance know of a doctor or clinic (anywhere in the world) that can sometimes help a patient when doctors have given up.... I asume the prognosis is not good at all?

Thanks Dr Bets :-)

Dear Ruby
She probably has stage IV or metastatic breast cancer - any treatment would probably just make her symptoms better temporarily but won't heal her. One has to decide whether the side effects from the chemo are worse than the side effects from the cancer - this is probably the reason why they stopped chemo. Regarding a guess on how long she will live - one can't really predict how long a person will live but 80% patients with stage IV breast cancer die within 5 years from diagnosis. Which oncologist did she see?