Question
Posted by: Confused | 2004/01/16

Can't work out ovulation dates.

Dear Doc
Have searched archives but can't find something similar.
Have been off the pill for about 2 years and had endemetriosis removed through lapscope.
Sometimes my cycle would be fairly consistent ie.every 30 or 31 days which would make ovulation around day 16.
But other times my cylce would be anything from 34 to even 39 days. That makes it difficult to work out when the 14th day to my next period is to work out ovulation dates because I would be constant on 30 days for 2 months and then have a 35 day cycle and then obviously incorrectly calculate my ovulation on day 22.
Am I working everything out wrong!? Why can't I fall pregnant. I have been checked out to make sure that I do ovulate and my husband were also checked to determine spermcount, etc.
Please help!

If the tests show that you are ovulating, it may be useful to try using the cervical mucus method or buy an ovulation detector kit at the chemist.

1
Posted by: Nix | 2004/01/18

Don't stress. If your cycle isn't very regular, its hard to determine when you're ovulating. As long as you know you are ovulating (and have had recent tests), then you just need to determine when!

Why don't you try ovulation test kits? You can buy them from your chemist. They are quite expensive (about R250 for 5 tests). They are urine test sticks - like a pregnancy test and the pamphlet inside the box will tell you when to use them. They indicate when you're about to ovulate (24-36 hours before ovulation), so you know the best time to try conceive.

A cycle length of 39 days doesn't sound right to me. Maybe you are not ovulating every month? Maybe get this checked out or see how you go with the tests for a few months.

Good Luck!

Reply to Nix