Question
Posted by: J | 2007/02/22

Can't wait three months for HIV test

Got exposed to HIV ten days ago and can’t wait for the window period to pass. Is there any other test that can detect HIV after ten days?
Please advice.
Thanks.

Dear J
A viral count or HIV PCR may be your solution - will cost you though.

2
Posted by: MAGDA | 2007/02/23

I was exposed to HIV +- 4 years ago, did a test after 4 MONTHS, tested negative. I only tested positive after 6 months, on a normal ELISA test. Even if it is expensive rather do HIV PCR, far more reliable. I recently did HIV PCR, CD4 and full blood count, cost R944.50 at Dr du Buisson labs. It's worth it, if u test + start ARV immediately. You will do OK! Good luck, I wish u all the best. MAGDA

Reply to MAGDA
Posted by: Mario | 2007/02/22

Did you start with antiretrovirals after the exposure?

Reply to Mario